Wednesday, October 16, 2013

So Very Close to Being Done

It has been 4.5 months since our verdict...

Yesterday my phone rang and caller ID said, "lawyer".  It made my heart race.  I hadn't seen that ID for 4.5 months and, as lovely as my lawyer was, I would be fine never seeing it again.

She was calling with good news.  She started the call off with letting me know that.  After working with me for 9 years she knows that is how I need to start the call  - tell me upfront.  Good news or bad news.  And then go.

It seems the judge had ruled on the issue of DP having to pay part of my court fees.  If you take what has been spent on this last 9 years - My lawyer, Ellie's lawyer, Ellie's therapist, the Psycho-therapist the court appointed, - I could have bought a small island, or possibly two.  And having Ellie safe with me, it was a bargain.  The best money spent.

According to my lawyer the Judge had ruled that a significant amount of our total must be paid back by DP.  She, my lawyer, was surprised by how much the Judge had agreed to.  She said it wasn't a regular thing to do.  I think she chose to call instead of email me this news because I think she was looking for some excitement from me.  I just don't have that feeling.  Reality is that I have not, do not, will not get child support from DP... why would anyone in the world think I would ever see a cent of this judgement? What is the saying? Getting blood from a turnip? So, this follows him everywhere... well, if someone could find him, that would be neat and then it could start following him.  I just don't really care.  The only thing that made me happy is that we are a step closer to being done.

The next step, said DR, is to "close out the case." I needed to give her the okay to do that.  Basically, as I understand it, she tells the courts that this case is over and if DP (or anyone for that matter) wants to reopen it they have to go through me rather than through her.  Again, I don't care much because I don't THINK anything more will happen.  The only thing I care about is we are again, one step closer to being done.

My thought is that by the beginning of 2014 all judgement will be filed and our case will officially be CLOSED...And at some point in my life, lawyer bills will be paid.

Our lives are back to being our lives.... I have extra time because I am not always thinking of this case, what could happen, what should happen, what might happen. I'm not dealing with lawyers.  I literally didn't realize how much time it was taking up. Ellie has been able to be on a soccer team the last few months. She also just went through basketball tryouts.  We have never been able to devote that much time to something and it is wonderful.  I get the biggest thrill watching Ellie have fun and be carefree.

I thought I knew how horrible it was on my health - but I didn't know the extent it hurt me.
Now that it is nearly over, I feel better every day.

But, the biggest change is Ellie.  She has changed...and all for the better.  More care-free, not as anxious and 100% full of joy.  That kid, all 50 pounds of her is pure joy.  And it is contagious.

We fought a battle I was not willing to lose.  It was hard, it was gut-wrenching, time-consuming, expensive and painful.  On the other end of it we feel blessed.

Both of us know one thing for sure - we want to make sure there was a reason for it all.  We have each pledged to give back.  Ellie will one day help other kids going through this and I will try to do something to change our court systems.

We are blessed, we have each other.  I have a girl bursting with JOY.

Mostly, we are happy it is nearly over.

1 comment: